There’s that doubting little voice again, the one that says “Are you sure?” It sneaks up and asks:
- Do you really want to buy that? (You can always take it back)
- Are you sure this is the right decision?
- Is this the right timing for x to happen?
It’s called the Second-Guesser! The Second-Guesser resides somewhere between our own knowing or inner truth and common sense. Have you ever made a decision or taken a course of action that you revisited--perhaps it was your Plan B as Plan A had fallen through. And you thought: "If only Plan A had worked out..."
|Photo courtesy of Morguefile|
What makes us second-guess ourselves? Lack of confidence, perfectionism, not wanting to make a mistake. Fear. So we take action and then we revisit that action. I often find myself second-guessing even simple decisions! How can we quell the Second-Guesser? What can we tell ourselves to be at peace with a decision?
Ask yourself these questions as you revisit a decision:
- Did I make my decision with the most clarity of consciousness?
- Is this the best decision given the information available to me at the time?
- What does the outcome look like?
Now put it away. Stop doubting. Stop second-guessing. Start trusting. And start living!
Need help gaining clarity? Consider Empowerment Coaching—for a complimentary discovery session, call 514.996.2414.