Sunday, April 17, 2011

Settling for More

Sometimes less is indeed more, but not always. Today a restaurant waitress asked if the basket of charred toast she set on the table before us, was too burned. It took me all of two seconds to decide I would absolutely not eat burnt toast. It got me thinking about how we sometimes settle and particularly about how we sometimes settle for less.

When it comes to our worth, less is definitely not more. We are more and we deserve more. We deserve better than to settle for a basket of charred toast. In fact, we deserve to have our toast exactly how we want it. It has very little to do with getting what we pay for. This off the beaten track hole in the wall restaurant with decent prices for a full breakfast was highly recommended by a friend living in the area.

Consider this important way of the universe: when we assert ourselves as being worth more, we get more. The universe provides--we need only trust and believe. We need only love ourselves enough.

Do you ever find yourself settling for less--in life, in work or in love? Let's raise a glass of orange juice and make a toast to settling for MORE!

5 comments:

  1. I agree completely, Karen.

    The universe conspires to provide that which we ask for. The thing is not to be afraid to ask!

    My tea cup is raised to have more in my life, too!

    Have a full day!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, thank you for taking the time to comment about not being afraid to ask for MORE.
    Cheers, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly,
    This is so true. I usually don't settle for less, whether is at a restaurant, a clothing store, bank, or service provider. If I am paying, I think I am entitled to what I'm paying for. That being said, lately, I've settled for an okay job. I enjoy it, but it's not what I would like to be doing long-term. I know I have the potential to do more, yet I have settled for this job. :(
    Thanks for opening my eyes. I shouldn't settle for less!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the universal restaurant of my life I have feasted on charred toast and come to love it so much that I forgot about "the good stuff". Many of us carry the luggage of our formative years which were forged in the elementary school yards of 'who belonged in which group'.

    As one consigned to the unpopular group, I formed a new group: me. This served me well in seeing life from a unique perspective; namely from the outside looking in. But this also isolated me.

    Now, many years later, still harboring hate at those other kids who so judged me, I have come to realize that I do deserve that quality piece of toast and, having tasted the charred piece, must save some for others who suffered a similar fate. That they too partake of the goodness I took too long to find. And I try to do this through writing. To let them know it's okay and you are not alone. In this altruistic act, the universe does indeed reward me. For in the giving, there is no need to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claudia:
    Thank you for your comment and I do wish you that great job--I know it is out there for you, who has so many wonderful skills to share! :-))

    Hi Vasilios:
    What a wonderful way to look at bullying and its profound affects on us! It takes a lot of courage to turn burnt toast into something more palatable, realizing that it really is up to us to us to find that goodness you talk about. I just love your last line: "For in the giving, there is no need to ask." It is so important to first give to ourselves and be okay with that. Thank you for commenting! :-))

    ReplyDelete