Starting Over

At any given time in life you may find yourself facing a life transition. Perhaps it's changing jobs, careers, ending a relationship, returning to school, an empty nest, moving house, or even quitting a habit such as smoking. Or maybe it's a more subtle change such as starting a new exercise program, eating regime, a style change or using a new product or doing something different from your routine. Change and certainly life transition can lead to starting over.

Starting over often involves progressing through some key steps:
  1. Awareness about your current status/situation (comfortable discomfort)
  2. The decision to change that status or situation - Getting out of your comfort zone
  3. A willingness to change, motivated by a deep desire for something more/better/different
  4. Accepting change and what that change entails, either known or unknown...and accepting that!
  5. Taking action or moving forward through change - You're not there yet as you may still want to run back to the known and comfortable
  6. Transforming and pushing past the point of no return - You absolutely know that you cannot go back to what was
A cloudless sky
So you arrive at starting over. What does that look like? What I love about starting over is that I get to start over right where I am. It's not a race, nor a competition. It's a self-motivated, self-driven journey through change. There's no template, but there is a design. That design is based on faith and trust--that this is my journey, the one I am meant to take. I'm choosing a particular road for my journey through transformation. I may stop to rest along the way, decide not to continue along that road, or simply change directions altogether. It's all good. For I can start over at any time, and with new and different resources and insights.

What does starting over represent for you?

Comments

  1. For anyone doing some introspection, soul-searching, or learning more about oneself, this is a great post, Kelly. You're right. It doesn't have to be a major change, it could be as subtle as creating a feasible schedule. I've done some starting over lately. I've started the same personal project at least five times, but I didn't give up. I wanted to see the end result because it's meaningful to me. Does this count as starting over? Or is this a case of obstinacy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often we won't let go and we resist change. Resistance makes us tighten, tense and try to control completely. It blinds us to other possibilities. Resistance will not allow change, acceptance does. You must be where you are to get where you're going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claudia: Sometimes we need to have many starts to a project before it takes off. I call them practice runs! :-)) Good luck with your project! Thank you for sharing here! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Curmudgeon: As someone dear to me often says, "That which we resist, persists." You capture the essence of not allowing change when we try to control too much. Thank you for stopping by to comment! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe we start over the moment we acquire a new awareness about one or more aspects of our life. And I believe the only way to gain awareness is by slowing down to think a bit. That's to me starting over.

    Many people, when I mention transition, say: "Life is in constant transition, what are you talking about?". I usually reply, "Ok, I understand that, but some transitions, note, are more important and have a greater impact than others!" They never seem to understand what I mean.
    I'm curious to know if it happens to you too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jay! What you say about starting over the moment we acquire new awareness is insightful. Life is totally about transition, that is, constant movement and change in the simplest of ways. What I completely understand about major life transitions is that they often arise from acquiring that new awareness you talk about. You cannot unknow what you know and if that leads to an important life transition with a greater impact, then you are honoring your new awareness. As always, it's great to exchange with you here! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts