WELCOME all lifelong and life-wide learners!


Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Today is My Blank Canvas

What will you paint on the canvas of today? I awoke this morning and wrote my gratitude list, which I hadn't done in almost a month; at the end I wrote that I am grateful for today and for the blank canvas that it is.

Today is all mine to paint in vivid colors and shapes and light and textures. I feel inspired by having been to the German-born early century painter, Ferlinger's, exhibit at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts a few weeks ago. What impressed me about his work is the central theme of light and how he plays with prisms in his paintings.

Thinking of my day in terms of light and prisms, what is the light I can let in to shine on my day that will create beauty and wonder in my life? This reminds me about my favorite line from a Leonard Cohen song: "Forget your perfect offering. There are cracks in everything. That's how the light gets in."

Where are you letting your light in?

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I really love this post and the metaphor of the blank canvas. I need to get back to my gratitude list (it's been over a month for me! ack!), but, to answer your question... for the canvas of today, I literally painted some inspiring and hopefully encouraging snail-mail messages for a couple beautiful friends of mine. I've been meaning to do it for a while, so I'm proud that it's finally completed (and I had a lot of fun doing it). Thanks for the awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Raquel! I've been away so just reading your lovely message here now, and thank you! I hear what you're saying about getting back to your gratitude list. I was sporadic in doing mine, then just recently, I picked up Rhonda Byrne's The Magic. Have you read it? This awesome book actually helps to cultivate a life of living in gratitude with it's 28 days of intense practice. Kudos to you for painting your inspiring messages to friends! Feels good when we send these kinds of thoughts, doesn't it? Appreciating your stopping by and sharing! Have a great day, Kelly

      Delete